You've seen how to add web pages with a title and body but what if you want to add other types of content?
In Drupal 7, we provide you different content types like Events (with Calendar), News Announcements, People (for profile), Courses, Publications, Slideshow (of images), FTE based Voting, Appoinment Booking etc. We will continue to add many more so please contact your site admin or firstname.lastname@example.org before you create a new content type.
There are two ways to add other content types. The first is to enable a module that already implements the content type you need. The second is to build your own content type. You must be an administrator to add additional content types.
First, let's try adding an existing content type.
If Drupal 6: Go to Site building -> Modules -> List from the top menu.
If Drupal 7: Go to Modules
If Drupal 6: Expand the section Core - optional.
If Drupal 7: Expand the section Core
- Check the box beside Blog.
- Click the Save configuration button.
- You will may a warning that "Some required modules must be enabled. Click the Continue button.
- Now try creating a blog entry.
If Drupal 6: From the top menu Content management -> Create content -> Blog entry
If Drupal 7: Go to Content -> Add Content -> Blog entry
- You will see the entry when you go to <your_site>/blog.
The below is for Drupal 6. For Drupal 7, please contact your site admin or email@example.com before you create a new content type.
If there isn't a module for the content type you need, you can create your own. In this example we'll create meeting notes that will include Meeting date time, Title, Attendees, and Notes.
- Go to Content management -> Content types -> Add content type in the top menu.
- In the Name field enter "Meeting Notes", Type field enter "meeting_notes", Description field enter "This content type is for enter meeting notes.".
- Click the Submission form setting link on the left hand menu.
- In the Title field label field enter "Meeting Title", Body field enter "Notes".
- Click the Save content type button at the bottom of the page.
- You should now see a list of all content types with Meeting Notes lists as one of types.
- Click on the manage fields link next to Meeting Notes.
- At the bottom of the page, under New field, enter "Date and Time" in label, enter "meetingdatetime" in field name, select "Datetime" in Type of data to store, and select "Text Field with custom input format" in Form element to edit the data.
- Click the Save button.
- You can select a different input format but I am going to leave the defaults and click the Save field settings button at the bottom of the page.
- Add a second new field for "Attendees", field name "meetingattendees", type "Text", form element "Text area". Again you can accept the default settings.
- Now lets move the new field directly underneath the Title. Click on the cross that looks like 4 arrows next to the Date and Time field and drag it up under Meeting Title. Drag Attendees under Date and Time.
- Click the Save button.
- Now try creating a meeting notes. From the top menu Content management -> Create content -> Meeting Notes